Blog Archive

© U8MyCrayons 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Vegan stuffed mushrooms

Tonight’s dinner was by far my absolute fave since I started eating vegan meals. I hate to even call this Vegan, as I know that will automatically make you think gross, flavorless, and gas. It's not true! I know how it is...I used to think that way too. I'm telling you these are some dayumn good stuffed mushrooms, even for meat eaters!

Seriously. I would not steer you wrong! I love my food. Ya'll know that!

We had these stuffed mushrooms as our main course, but they would make an excellent side dish or even as they were intended to be...an appetizer. I served them with a side of The Pioneer Woman -food goddess extraordinaire- Crash Hot Potatoes, and a side of steamed broccoli. Please do visit her site and try those taters. So easy, and so good! My friends swear by them too!

As far as the broccoli goes…it’s just plain steamed broccoli. I do feel compelled to share with you one of my all time fave indulgences. Ziploc Zip’n Steam Microwave Cooking Bags. I don’t use them often, as I feel really guilty about the waste (of money and trash) but on occasion they make cooking in my teeny tiny cramped kitchen a little bit easier. I’ve been cooking 2 meals at a time for the past 11 days and tonight I decided to leave the large steamer in the cabinet and use a bag. 3 minutes, and perfectly steamed broccoli. It’s a thing of beauty! No paid endorsement here. I just love ‘em enough that I thought it worth mentioning tonight!


On with the mushrooms!



Tofu stuffed mushrooms (variartion of the Veagn Chef )
(Stop-it! It was my 1st time ever using tofu. Iwas super skepitcal. It's good stuff when used right!)

Ingredients:

8-10 large button mushrooms (or other mushrooms of choice), washed well
3 T. olive oil, divided
8 oz. firm tofu, frozen, and thawed
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
1/4 cup celery, finely diced
1/4 cup green onion, minced
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 T. garlic, minced
1/2 TBSP Worshteshire
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
2 T. freshly chopped parsley (optional)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions:

Lightly spray/brush baking dish with olive and set aside.

Using your fingers, crumble the thawed tofu into a small bowl and set aside.

Wash and remove the stems from the mushrooms, roughly dice the stems, and set aside.

In a non-stick skillet, place 1 T. olive oil and the mushroom caps, and saute for 2 minutes per side. Remove the mushroom caps from the skillet, transfer to your oiled baking dish, and set aside.

In the same non-stick skillet, saute the reserved mushroom stems, onion, celery, and green onion in the remaining olive oil, for 5 minutes to soften. Add the crumbled tofu, garlic, and nute to your skillet, and saute an additional 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the remaining ingredients, stir well to combine, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Fill the mushroom caps with warm filling, slightly mounding the tops.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the mushroom caps are heated through and slightly browned on top. Serve immediately.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. If you do not you should go to the Dr. immediately to have your taste buds checked. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment