Blog Archive

© U8MyCrayons 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Parenting with Chopra

Deepak Chopra is one of my fave authors. In his book, The Seven Spiritual Laws for Parents, he lists these 7 laws:


1. Everything is possible.

2. If you want to get something, give it.

3. When you make a choice, you change the future.

4. Don't say no-go with the flow.

5. Every time you wish or want, you plant a seed.

6. Enjoy the journey.

7. You are here for a reason.

During my daily parenting challenges I try to remember these laws. When I am feeling like my child will never learn how to do something I remember that everything is possible, and look for alternative ways to teach them. When I want my children to treat me with more respect I remember that I must give them respect. How else do they learn what respect looks like?

I put a lot of thought into the choices I make. Sometimes I may over think things, but the awareness that my choice will change the future guides me to make the best possible choice for the situation.

I try really hard to not say no, but to instead offer up a happy medium. When my toddler asks me to go to the park I might say "I would like to go to the playground too, but mommy has work to do. We can go to the park tomorrow morning. How does that sound?"

I am mindful of wishing, longing, wanting, and hoping. You know the saying "Be careful what you wish for."...and there is some truth to that. I try and think through the ideas I verbalize, especially around my children. If they hear me say "I wish we had a bigger house" the kids may not be mature enough to understand that wish. I try to avoid planting the negative seeds. They might hear that simple phrase and feel like they are a burden on me because they take up so much space, or because they know it costs a lot of money to raise them.

Enjoy the journey. This is probably one of the hard laws to follow in the stressful moments. It's really a challenge to enjoy the journey when your toddler has painted the entire kitchen (everything from 3 feet up to the floor) with peanut butter. It's easy to enjoy the fun stuff. It's finding joy in the chaotic moments that require effort!

You are here for a reason. You may not know that reason, but knowing you are here for one is important. Reminding yourself that you are a valuable member of society is difficult when you are wearing your PJs at dinnertime, have spit-up on your shoulder, and haven't showered in two days, but try to remember that your time will come and for now your purpose is to love an nurture your children, your family and friends, and the people in your community.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment