© U8MyCrayons 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Rumaki!

Rumaki is an hors d'oeuvre that I came to know growing up as my Aunt has made it at least once a year for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I've never used a recipe before for this but today I decided to actually measure the ingredients out so that I could share this with you. I've never been a very precise person when it comes to measurements...I'm an "ish" kind of cook so...it's safe to say if you are a little short or have a little extra the math will all work out in the end. 


Ingredients:


1 15-20 oz. Tub Chicken Livers (I bought a 20 oz. Tyson brand but did not use it all
1 package of bacon (cut slices in half)
1 can sliced water chestnuts (You could buy whole and slice them yourself, but why?)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 clove of garlic, minced (approx 1/2 tbsp)
1/4 tbsp ginger, ground (I used the powdered stuff but I am sure fresh is better) 
1 cup low sodium Soy sauce


Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees


 Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
 Cut bacon slices in half. Open and drain water chestnuts. Clean and cut Chicken livers into approx 1 inch chunks. (The rolling pin? I used it to smash the garlic clove for easy peeling.)
 Lay a piece of bacon down, lay a chunk of chicken liver and a slice of water chestnut on top. 
 Wrap it up with the bacon and use a tooth pick to secure the end of the bacon. Place the Rumaki into the bowl of Soy marinade. Roll the next piece and repeat until you use up all of the bacon. You will have left over water chestnuts and chicken livers as well. If this bothers you...buy more bacon. :)

This is only half of the batch. I cooked them in 2 batches because I have small baking sheets. 
Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 400 for 20-25 minutes until the bacon is thoroughly cooked and crispy. This makes approx 40 Rumaki. 


Do not marinade for more than 10 minutes...they will be VERY salty if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment