© U8MyCrayons 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's all about the nails...or little things

There are many things that I sometimes allow to unravel me throughout the day. Electronics that are too complex. Things that do not work the way they are supposed to. Bullying. Hate. Too many to list.

One of my biggest peeves is things not being where they are supposed to be. I'm one of those "Everything has a home." kind of weirdos. Now...when I say everything has a home I willingly admit that I may go a tad over board. In my "perfect world" things would have a home, and the home is clearly labeled. If I weren't worried about people thinking that I am finding out that I am crazy...I'd probably even outline where the shit belongs on the shelf. Serious about that.

Today I was cleaning the cabinet doors in the kitchen when I noticed that the lazy susan door is barely hanging onto the piano hinges! This is the type of thing that I would ordinarily tell my husband needs a fixin' and he'd get around to it in 2012 when the cabinet door had long since fallen off. Instead I went straight to the garage to get a few screws to go ahead and fix it now. When I went out to the workbench what do I find?

A pile of nails, and the drawer that holds them lying on the counter next to the organizer that the drawer goes into.

Now...I will admit that I am a pain in the ass (with a capital A) to live with. I know I am quirky, at best. I also don't know anyone who loves me that would tell you that I am not worth it. ;)

Anyway...I am standing in the garage while staring at this pile of nails and I feel the inner rage bubbling up.

This alongside 1,000 other little teeny tiny things in life are where I struggle. People may think that I am petty...I think that about myself from time to time...but it really is the little things in life that matter. They add up to big things.

So, I did what I always do. I picked up the damn nails, placed them in the drawer that was clearly labeled "Lg nails"...you know...the one right next to the pile of nails...the drawer that they were dumped out of? I put them back in the drawer and placed it back into the organizer and said to myself "Self, you will not allow yourself to be undone by a box of nails today" ...and I wont.

I wont because that pile of nails had been there at least since last weekend and it's the first time I have come across something like this all week. Usually I come across things like this every 5 minutes of the day.

Now, please let me assure you that I am not perfect. I am on the far end of the perfection spectrum. I know I am guilty of leaving things laying around. The difference is this. I do it occasionally, when I get distracted. It could be because I have 4 children to tend to and pick up after. It's a wonder my brain isn't mush to be honest. Some people more extreme. Some people rarely puts things back as they should be, and with seemingly no excuse beyond pure laziness. No one wants to pick up but I do it because we're adults and I don't want to be on the next episode of hoarders.

It is things like this that cause friction between my hubs and I, amongst many many other issues and until I figure out how to accept and love my husband, lazy ways and all, or until hell freezes over and he decides to learn how to man up...we just can't live together in harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment