© U8MyCrayons 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Goodbye panties

I don't know what it is about mothers. We are always willing to sacrifice for the family. We put off treating ourselves to the little things for the sake of groceries, fuel, basketball sign-up fees, doctor bills, and really anything else you can imagine. You had better believe my toddler would just as soon get a package of socks that he almost needs before I would spend that money on myself to replace my worn out panties.

For those few mothers out there whom have magically escaped this curse...consider yourselves lucky! I don't have more than 2-3 friends that splurge on themselves, let alone take care of their most basic needs. Okay...maybe panties are not really a need, but as long as we live in the United States they are an unspoken agreement.

I have panties in my dresser that are older than some of my children. It's disturbing, I know...and possibly TMI, but it's hard to prioritize $10 for a pair of panties when that money could be spent on something...more visible?!?

A therapist once told me that I do not feel that I am worthy of anything. She said that because of the childhood I had I felt I didn't deserve good grades, nice things, and most importantly, Love. I do not love myself enough and apparently this stems from my childhood. Amazing how that childhood creeps back into my life every few years. It's why I try really hard to do right by my own children. I don't know if the therapist is right or not...surely not all of my mom friends had a rough childhood too, but who knows. She may have been onto something. I have been a teeny bit happier since I've allowed myself to splurge on me, even if it is still a rare occurrence.

Last week I received 2 coupons from a local retailer. One was good up until last Sunday and the 2nd coupon was good starting yesterday. The coupons were for $15 off a $15 purchase. I decided I would buy myself a few pairs of new panties. I'd put it off long enough. None of mine fit right, and the ones that I like the best are so worn out!

The regular price of the style I wanted to try was $14.50/pair. Are you friggin kidding me? The store had a sale on 5 pair for $29. With my coupon I was able to get 5 pair for $14. That's is less than the price of one pair. I was very excited! It doesn't take much. I purchased 5 pair and decided to wear them for a week, and wash them because I am NOTORIOUS for shirking any and all fabrics, and if I liked them I decided to buy more this week with my 2nd coupon.

I ended up really loving the fit. No more rolling down the stomach. No more wedgie. No more underwear that comes up to my rib cage. Finally some right sized, cute, and comfy panties! Are you sick of the word panties yet? So am I.

So...I am now the proud owner of 10 new pairs of underwear. I've not owned 10 new pair at one time since I was a child wearing underoos! I couldn't be more proud of myself.

For the few male readers who made it this far...seriously. Hand your wife $20 and tell her to go buy her something that she needs and refuses to spend money on herself. Don't buy her panties. Give her the cash. You men never buy the right panties. I'll let you in on a secret. No real woman wears lace underwear with frills, and lace under her work pants. Those are what I call floor decor. You wear them for a few minutes until they are removed and tossed onto the floor. No mom NEEDS those kind of panties. I'm just being honest here.

I've made the decision. I am going to throw away all of my old underwear right now. I'm going to do it so I do not postpone buying more next time simply because I have old ones that will suffice.

Goodbye panties.

Hello new, cute panties!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I can so relate. I realized the other day that I had panties that were over 10 years old! That's ridiculous. Victoria's Secret has ones on sale right now for 7 for $25. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great deal Shell. Sadly the junk in my trunk do not agree w/VS panties. lol Good to see you! I've been not really feelin' the blog love these days. =/

    Who knew I'd be inspired by underwear. It's the little things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny- I finally bought myself new underwear a couple of weeks ago and have been so happy with them! I hadn't bought new undies since I was pregnant with Zach, I think. And that was just one pack of larger undies to go with my big belly! I bought 2 new packs and threw out anything with holes or elastic or stretched out waistbands.

    I even bought myself a new bra recently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No new underwear for me in a few years, I honestly can't afford it. You are so right!

    Maybe we should all form a non-profit panty charity?

    ReplyDelete