© U8MyCrayons 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

The longing...

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing. (The Invitation, by Oriah Mountain Dreamer)

The longing. Oh, how I long for the longing. The longing lets me know i'm still alive. Full of life. Few things beat that feeling in the pit of your stomach. That aching excitment you feel when you just cannot wait to say something, do something, whatever.

My fear with the modern day that our children live in is that they are missing out on one of the biggest life lessons. The longing. No longer do they have to wait until tomorrow to tell SuzyQ that JonDoe is a hottie. Gone are the days that JaneDoe has to wait all weekend to tell her latest heart throb that she thinks he is great.

Everything is at their fingertips. They can just send an e-mail, or text their friends and tell them right away. The last thing kids need today is even more instant gratification. In an instant gratification filled gotta-have-it-right-now world, I think it's very important to embrace those little things, like the longing.

The longing is what gives me patience. I love that feeling where you sit and let things simmer for a while. Not everything has to be gained today, right here or right now. There are very few times when I have felt it wasn't worth the wait.

I encourage you to recognize the longing. Find it. Live with it. The feeling when the longing runs it's course and you get your hearts longing, it will tell you everything you need to know about the worthiness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment