© U8MyCrayons 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

How to Organize a file cabinet


I have not found my Blog niche-so to speak. Friends have told me that I have a knack for Creative Organization around the home. I thought I'd try out blogging about some of my fave Organizational tips and ideas and see how it goes. If there is an area in your home you'd like some help with let me know and I'll Blog some ideas just for you!


How to Organize a file cabinet



Suggested Supplies:


File Folders
Hanging File Folders (I use many colors to separate the File types)
Avery 5160 Address Labels
Computer Printer

Of course you also need a File cabinet/box/system and Files :)

To Start-Sort your files by type. You may have Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Household Bills, Medical Files, Legal Files, Auto Files, Employment Files, Tax Files, School Files, etc.)

Use one Color of Hanging File Folder to house each type of File. ie:
Purple=Bank Accounts
Red=Creditors
Blue=Bills
Yellow=Medical

etc., etc..

Most files should be labeled and placed in their own hanging file folder. Some files may be minor, and this is where you can use file folders to place 3 different files in one hanging file folder. Maybe you have 2 or 3 Children and can place all of their school file folders in one hanging file folder.


To make your labels open up Microsoft Word on your PC and follow the directions for the Avery Labels. Print the labels and attach them to the file folders and hanging file folder tabs. You can also label the tabs with a permanent marker.

Having Organized files makes Tax time easier, as well as increases the probability that you will actually file paperwork!

1 comment:

  1. Got an idea on how to get a husband to clean out his crap? Cuz in my house, it's the man who has his own space (the basement) that he keeps like a sty! We could easily be on one of those "clean out your clutter" shows.

    ReplyDelete